Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pamplona to Seville: One Last Run

   So, despite being completely and utterly done with San Fermin and its craziness only 24 hours earlier, Karin and I found ourselves on the last bus to Pamplona with a jug of Don Simon and plenty of excitement. We met up with some of her friends and actually partied the whole night until 6am, when we all said our goodbyes as her friends left, I went to my final bullrun, and Karin went to spectate. My last run went really well, the locals were a bit more aggressive this time and I had to work pretty hard not to get shoved down or in front of the bulls, but I made it into the Plaza del Toros once again.
      Playing with all five bulls was a great cap to my experience, and once again I was able to touch (respectfully) the last and most aggressive bull. As I walked from the Plaza, dirty, tired, and hungover, I felt pretty satisfied that I had made the most of my San Fermin experience. At this point, all I wanted was sleep, but sadly I had to contend with a slight hangover and finding my way to Seville that day. Fun Fact: Seville is on the opposite side of the country. It is very difficult to get there from Pamplona. It is not where Salamanca is, as I originally thought, and a train will be incredibly expensive. It will make you feel even more terrible than your hangover when you realize how much you've paid to get to Seville in time to check in to your hostel.
     So 8 hours later, and way too many euros poorer, I made it to Seville. This old town was incredible, and I was greeted by a  couple of women in the street who were headed to a bar at 12am. They were intrigued by my backpack, and they seemed nice and friendly, so I joined them after checking in to the Boutique Hostel (http://www.sohoboutiquehostel.com/) for a beer or two. They gave me the lowdown on Seville, which is apparently fairly quiet until 10pm due to the oppressive heat (123 F), and then becomes a lively party town until 4 or 5am. As much as I wanted to keep up, I had to bid my farewells as my Pamplona sleep deprivation caught up with me around 2:30am.
     The next day was full of exploring Seville, which was the most confusing city I have visited so far. The winding streets and extremely narrow alleyways make for an incredibly disorienting day, even with a map. I managed to visit the city's most important monuments (the Tore de Oro, and the Giralda which is a mosque that was converted to the largest gothic Cathedral in the world, and the stunning Alcazar palace that was used by Muslim and Christian kings alike) and snag a decent lunch before I headed back to the hostel to avoid the heat and prepare for my next leg of adventures...
Morocco, here I come!
The Giralda Cathedral in Spain from the windy streets of Seville
The entrance to the Giralda Cathedral

Stunning sculptures inside the church

The former mosque tower from the orange garden of the Giralda
La Tore del Oro or tower of gold, which looks over Seville's waterfront as a reminder of its strong nautical history.

Fountain at the Alcazar
The courtyard at the Alcazar palace
Fountain of Mercury at the Alcazar palace.

The bath of the Kings mistress in the Alcazar Palace
Beautiful signage in Seville
The orange garden from the tower itself







No comments:

Post a Comment